Innovative education program that contributes both to the development of environmental awarenes and infrastructures covering material needs of suburban societies. At the same time the program gives the opportunity to young people to broaden their way of thinking through new life experiences and get inspiration for personal and local development.
The program is directly addressed to: a) primary and junior high school students and their teachers and indirectly to their families and friends, as part of a micro-societal environment of the locations participated in the program (mainly island and remote regions) and b) students of the neighboring municipalities of our installations.
The program is implemented for two consecutive school years, 2013 - 2014 and 2014 - 2015, with the prospect for the program to be continued in the future with a similar manner and further activities.
These training programs on ecology, energy and innovation aim to develop students’ critical thinking and to help them practice in decisions making as members of society. For that reason, students are involved in various activities and educational games with audiovisual media, experiments, construction projects and interaction.
Indicatively examples are:
- Workshops adapted to the specific characteristics of each region.
- Video projection about “green energy”, participation of students in the presentation of the pros and cons of various renewable energy sources and illustration of the operation of a power plant by the use of a renewable energy source.
- Demonstration of a water and wind turbine producing electricity with the participation of students.
- Team play, through which students understand the sustainable use of natural energy resources.
- Use of lego parts to manufacture motor vehicles that operate with photovoltaic panels.
- Construction of a windmill, which they can take as a gift with them at the end of the program.
- Wind turbine operation Demo.
- Completion of a questionnaire regarding the energy status of a building, the potential of energy saving and the establishment of the energy profile of the building.
- Board game of several energy options aiming to positively influence the energy behavior of the players.
- Educational tours.
Through this interactive game, students realize the importance of energy and its impact on everyday life and the importance of using renewable energy resources. They, also, familiarize with the natural energy resources and understand the importance of sustainable use. Finally, their interest in the study of energy problems is significantly enhanced.
Every year 1,000 students from the neighboring municipalities of our facilities in Thessaloniki have the opportunity to visit the technology museum NOESIS and take part in these activities Students of the areas included in the program participate in local activities of several NGOs such as: Goulandris Natural History Museum, Science Center and Technology Museum NOESIS, American Farm School, The Mobile Planetarium, Moraitis School Alumni Association, ARKTOUROS, MOM, ANIMA, ELKETHE, EXILE, Association of the Friends of Music, Books on Wheels, Noah's ark of the World, Common Place Institute Urban Act, HBGK.
19 NGOs cooperate in implementing the program including the museums NOESIS and Goulandris under the coordination of the NGO Agoni Grammi Gonimi and the guidance/surveillance of HELLENIC PETROLEUM. The program is under the auspices of the Ministry of Education and supported by the European Parliament.
Participation of: employees, petrol service stations network and NGOs
Schools in islands/remote regions: Karpathos,Kasos,Kastelorizo,Serifos,Skinos,Skiathos,Skopelos,Vovousa,Gafdos,Delvenaki,Erikoussa,Kastellorizo,Corfu,Kefalonia,Kythira,Miliotakes,Paxos,Papigo,Pogoniani & Thessaloniki neighboring municipality.
HELLENIC PETROLEUM has the overall running of the program including the design, deployment assesment and review on a systematic basis with the support of Agoni Grammi Gonimi and 19 other NGOs and Institutions. The results are constantly updated and uploaded on www.energyforlife.gr site in order to be available to all interested parties. Some of the most important results are:
• 19 Islands and remoted areas.
• 5,000 Students.
• 123 Workshops.
• 8 Photovoltaic systems installed in schools in neighboring municipalities.
• 1 Environmental education stand.
• 1 Online museum for the environment and the culture.
• 3 Outdoor murals.
• Donated bicycles.
• Heating oil donated to schools.
• The program can be adopted as best practice from other group companies abroad such as Cyprus, FYROM, Serbia, Bulgaria, Montenegro with similar results.
• Extraversion, as the program covers many areas throughout Greece.
• Colaboration and contribution of different business units within the Group of Companies.
• The formation of an energy culture, communication of the principles of sustainable development, sustainable use of natural resources and energy saving that are related with business activities.
• Energy saving and environmental protection through photovoltaic panel systems installed in schools that produce on an annual basis approximately 60MWh of green energy whilst reducing the emissions of carbon dioxide by approximately 60 tons with beneficial effects equivalent to those that would result from 60 acres of forest with 3,000 trees. This energy production balances the power of approximately 10 to 12 housekeepings.