"Pediatric Trauma Care" is a non-profit, non-governmental organization whose sole purpose is to raise awareness on children's accidents in Greece, reduce their number and severity and to improve care.
Read more: www.pedtrauma.gr
CIVIL SOCIETY: 237 PRACTICES
Our goal is to create Paediatric Trauma Centers in public hospitals where injured children can be quickly and effectively stabilized, and to upgrade and equip the Paediatric Departments and Clinics of the Hospitals and Health Centers in Greece with the necessary machinery.
Children from infancy to the age of 16 years old who visit the public Hospitals of Greece.
From 2010 to the present date.
A Trauma Center is the link between pre-hospital and in-hospital care. All emergency cases reaching the Hospital go directly to the Trauma Center where the main goal is to stabilize the injured child. This unit must have all the necessary equipment to save the child’s life.
The creation and equipping of Paediatric Trauma Centers is an immediate and urgent necessity. Nine times out of ten, when a child is seriously injured they experience some form of internal injury. It is thus imperative for the child to be transported to the Trauma Center where it can be stabilized. Because the condition of a seriously injured child can deteriorate very quickly, the amount of time that passes between injury and medical care must be kept to a minimum. This time, which should not exceed 60 minutes, is called the “Golden Hour”. After this hour has passed, the child’s chances of survival are reduced dramatically.
Furthermore, equipping the Paediatric Departments of the Hospitals and Health Centers with the necessary machinery gives doctors the opportunity to promptly and properly treat an injured child. Doctors in public Hospitals face great difficulties due to the understaffing of the Departments and the large number of cases they are called to deal with.
Unfortunately, apart from the lack of personnel, Paediatric Departments also have serious deficiencies in necessary machinery, or equipment that needs to be replaced due to age.
For these reasons, we keep striving to reach our goals, constantly setting new ones, to ensure that all doctors have the proper tools and equipment to provide the best possible medical care to their young patients. Especially in the past two years, due to the pandemic, supporting and strengthening our National Health System has been more important than ever. Thanks to the financial support of our sponsors (companies, foundations, private individuals) we are able to create, upgrade and renovate Trauma Centers for children in the Public Hospitals, and also to offer medical equipment, where necessary, to the Paediatric Departments in the Public Hospitals and Health Centers of our country. Our goal is to ensure that our children will lead healthy and prosperous lives.
From 2010 to date we have managed to upgrade and equip 99 Departments in 81 Hospitals & Health Centers throughout Greece.
During the past three years, we equipped 37 new Hospitals and donated additional equipment to another 16 Hospitals we had equipped in the past:
1. “Aghia Sophia” Children’s Hospital
2. “Paidon Pentelis” Children’s Hospital
3. “Ippocration” Thessaloniki’s General Hospital
4. University Hospital of Irakleion-Crete “PAGNI”
5. General University Hospital of Alexandroupolis
6. General Hospital of Arta
7. “Andreas Papandreou” General Hospital in Rhodes
8. General Hospital of Lamia
9. “Karamandaneio” General Hospital of Patras
10. Aretaieio Hospital
11. General Hospital of Kilkis
12. “Skylitseio” General Hospital of Chios
13. General Hospital of Ioannina “G. Hatzikosta”
14. University General Hospital “ATTIKON”
15. General Hospital of Kastoria
16. University General Hospital of Ioannina
17. General Hospital of Veria
18. General Hospital of Chalkida
19. General Hospital of Ptolemaida “Mpodosakeio”
20. General Hospital of Pella – Hospital Unit of Edessa
21. Health Center of Ithaca
22. General Hospital of Katerini
23. General Hospital of Argolida – Hospital Unit of Nafplio
24. General Hospital – Health Center of Karystos
25. General Hospital – Health Center of Kythira
26. Health Center of Prinos (Thassos)
27. General Hospital of Grevena
28. General Hospital of Preveza
29. Health Center of Skiathos
30. General Hospital of Florina “Eleni Th. Dimitriou”
31. General Hospital of Aghios Nikolaos
32. General Hospital of Cephalonia “Aghios Gerasimos”
33. General Hospital of Argolida – Hospital Unit of Argos
34. Health Center of Galatas
35. Regional Health Center of Tilos
36. General Hospital of Naoussa
37. General Hospital of Amfissa
38. General Hospital of Tripolis “Evaggelistria”
39. General Hospital of Kozani “Mamatsio”
40. General Hospital of Didymoteicho
41. General Hospital of Amaliada
42. “Tzaneio” General Hospital of Piraeus
43. General Hospital – Health Center of Kymi
44. General Hospital of Agrinio
45. General Hospital of Drama
46. Accommodation Facility for Unaccompanied Minors in Kypseli
47. Accommodation Facility for Unaccompanied Minors in Nikaia
48. General Hospital of Messinia – Hospital Unit of Kyparissia
49. General Anti-Cancer Oncology Hospital of Athens “Aghios Savvas”
50. General Hospital – Health Center of Kos
51. Health Center of Kranidi
52. General Hospital – Health Center of Naxos
53. Health Center of Istiaia
The upgrading of the Paediatric Departments improves the conditions of examinations and medical care provided to the children who visit the above Hospitals / Health Centers.
Furthermore, we decided to introduce the subject and importance of Trauma Prevention to the Paediatric Hospitals. To that end, we sent our brochures on Trauma Prevention (e.g. “Safety at the Playground”, “Swimming Saves Lives”) to the Hospitals and Health Centers we have equipped up to now, in order to inform the parents visiting the Hospitals. So far, we have distributed more than 41.550 brochures to 73 Hospitals and Health Centers.
From 2010 up to the present date more than 1.605.000 children have benefitted from our Charity.
Our work in upgrading and equipping the Paediatric Departments in a large number of Hospitals throughout Greece brings us closer to our ultimate goal of improving the quality of medical care provided to the children in our country.