Although OPAP is a labor-intensive services company without being involved in manufacturing activities, it has developed a certified Environmental Management System according to ISO14001:2004, for both OPAP S.A. and OPAP Services S.A., in order to ensure that potential impacts on the environment due to its operations are addressed and reduced in a systematic way. The scope of the system includes all activities: design, development, administration, operation and management of gaming products and services.
As part of this system, OPAP identifies and evaluates the environmental impact of its activities, structured around 5 steps:
1. Identify environmental aspects
2. Determine environmental impacts
3. Evaluate environmental impacts
4. Issue and review environmental aspects evaluation
5. Define measures and monitor actions and performance
In order to identify the sources from which we can reduce our environmental footprint, we quantify direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions sources from our operations, which primarily results from electricity consumption in our buildings and secondarily from fuel consumption. More specifically, in 2015 through a series of quantitative reports of our environmental impact, we proceeded to a series of practices that resulted to decrease of the average electricity consumption per employee to 6,295 KWh, compared to 9,822 KWh in 2014.
Our specific actions that we applied were the following:
- We moved out from our building in Kifissia
- We relocated our offices in Thessaloniki to a site where no heating diesel or natural gas consumption is required, while its electricity consumption was 87% lower compared to 2014.
- We assigned distribution of payslips to external partners, thus reducing the scheduled routes of corporate vehicles
The aforementioned practices led to a 21% decrease of the total CO2 (tn) emissions and a 22% decrease of the total electric energy consumption ενέργειας (MWh).