bwin, true to its vision for in practice support of the individuals and the communities in which it operates, has proven from the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic its intention to be on the society’s side by contacting a series of initiatives, in order to support the National Healthcare System and vulnerable groups affected by coronavirus.
Taking into account the needs which were created during the pandemic, bwin showed the necessary reflexes and adjusted the Corporate Social Responsibility strategy in order to support in practice the affected groups and individuals with a series of targeted initiatives. The medical staff of the National Healthcare System was benefited by these manifold actions, whilst one of the most important basketball teams in Greece, Olympiacos BC cooperated with its Grand Sponsor, bwin, in many ways. Therefore, the initiatives expanded and inspired a big number of our fellow citizens. More precisely:
- Covering part of the required cost for the launch of a dedicated helpline which provides support to the elderly or people who live alone, without direct supportive environment and chronic diseases. Via the helpline, the individuals could prescribe their necessary medication and “Médecins du Monde” staff delivered it their home. Approximately 800 people were benefited from this initiative.
- Stood by 100 elderly and people who live alone in various parts of Attica. The benefited parts received necessity goods, as well as personal hygiene equipment, in cooperation with “Médecins du Monde”.
- Supported street work for homeless and substance users with a roadside intervention team, which educated them about the safety measures for Covid-19. Also, “Médecins du Monde” staff distributed care kits which included: hand sanitizer, face masks and nitrile gloves. Approximately 100 people were benefited from this initiative.
- Embraced and “adopted” -with the collaboration of the Union “Together for the Child”- families of children with disabilities and other chronic diseases, which depend on their own powers without access to third-party help. Consequently, they are not able to work, as their children require constant attention and daily care. Approximately 40 families were supplied with household necessities.
- Supported the counseling helpline 11525 of the Union “Together for the Child”. The callers talk to specialized therapists, who provide psychological support and empowerment to cope with the difficulties that emerged in these difficult times.
- Offered Christmas and Easter baskets in December 2019 and April 2020 respectively, to more than 1000 residents of youth hospitality infrastructures and elderly people retirement homes. The gifts were provided to Institutions and NGOs, such as Athens Nursing Home, “Hristodoulio” Orphanage, “Chatzikiriakeio” Childcare Institution and more.
- Provided 30.000 medical masks for the healing program needs of ELEPAP, as well as for the Organizations of the Union “Together for Children”.
- Reinforced the work of doctors and nurses at Attikon General Hospital by delivering a portable ventilator, which will be used in intensive care units.
- Supported the work of doctors and nurses at:
- Rhodes General Hospital,
- “Thriasio” Hospital of Elefsina,
- “Evaggelismos” General Hospital,
- Larisa General Hospital,
- Larisa University General Hospital,
- Metaxa Cancer Hospital of Piraeus,
with necessary medical equipment, such as hand sanitizer, face masks and nitrile gloves.
- Fulfilled the wishes of children with serious illnesses, in collaboration with Make-A-Wish (Greece).
Finally, bwin joined force with Olympiacos BC, to which acts as Grand Sponsor, and started a series of charity games named “bwin Monday Night Game Against Covid-19”. The aim of the program is to fight back against the pandemic, by materializing a series joint initiatives and actions which started in December and will peak during 2021.